Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Cheesy Hearts



So I am not really into Valentines Day, however...I do love a theme! So it's VDay week and I decided to make a special dinner in the spirit of the holiday. I tried something new.  I like cheese chips and have made them a few times, I figured this would be the perfect topper to my VDay salad.  Here's my effort...



Shredded good quality parmesan on unbleached parchment paper, scattered flat, baked at 300F for 10-15 minutes. I have also had success using grated parmesan. While that was cooking I prepared the heart template by cutting it out of parchment paper.





After they had browned only slightly I took them out of the oven. Using kitchen shears and placing the template on top of the cooked cheese I cut out the heart. You will want to move quickly at this step because the warmer/softer cheese is easier to shape-if you can take them out of the oven one at time then shape them each, that would be ideal.

*Note, you can use any hard cheese you prefer avoid oily cheeses like swiss though.







As I said, there was a theme, so we had a heart shaped pizza from a local pizza shoppe, the pizza was a little pricey and the crust was about three times the thickness I prefer, but it was heart shape and fresh.





I also picked up some heart shape spinach ravioli from Raffetto (best fresh pasta market in NYC).  I wanted to prepare the ravioIi as an appetizer so I decided to oven "fry" them in order to keep the calorie count in check. They turned out delicious and the prep was quite simple, here is my method:


  • Boil & cool the pasta.
  • Dip the pasta in the a mixture of lite italian dressing (1 cup) and an egg, dash of salt and pepper.
  • Then dip the pasta into a mixture of italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • Place on an oiled baking pan, and lightly coat the ravioli using spray olive oil 
  • Preheated 350 degree oven, 15 mins until brown, keep a close eye on it
  • Serve with warm marinara


We sipped on strawberry lemonade with frozen berries, yes the pink/red theme continued, dessert was prosecco with scoops of  blood orange sorbet. All in all everything was pretty good and we had a really fun night, which is all that really matters anyway.

Hmm....I think I have some sorbet left....so I'm out! Hope you have a great Vday.

No comments: